Skip to main content

The Light of Day

It's finally here! For those that don't know about this Futurepast Zine project, check out this video:


It's available to buy at Norman Records, Provide and on Bandcamp:


This project started around autumn 2013. But the seed of this project was planted a few years ago. I'm a fan of an artist called 'Abdul Haqq' - he had created some stunning visuals for some of my favourite record labels (for instance: 'Underground Resistance'). He released a compilation called 'The Technanomicron' around 2008. It was a great experience to listen to the music and read the booklet that came with it - the CD was housed in a DVD case which looked really cool, and quite different from the standard CD cases. The album reminded me of buying records which had great artwork with them. I knew that one day I wanted to put something together like that.

In 2012 I went to a club night in Birmingham (UK) called 'Movement' at a place called PST. The music was breathtaking. I don't really go out much because I am sick of hearing the same old dj's/acts, but the night was different and pretty special - since then I've been to every single one. I mention 'Movement' because I met most of the artists that feature on 'The Light of Day' CD at this club. Some of them would send me tunes they had made and I would listen to their Soundcloud pages. Last year I burnt a load of their tracks to CD to listen to in my car. The music sounded awesome, I mean it was ridiculously good and it made me want to do something. I spent ages racking my brain dreaming about various things to do. The thing though, is that it's really difficult these days for music to be of interest to anyone because there is so much of it out there. I began thinking of my own record collection and what stood out was that some of my favourite things were based on a concept. There is a record label called 'Axis Records' (which is run by Jeff Mills - a Techno dj), and the music on that label is really interesting because it almost always ties in with some kind of concept - there is a sister label called 'Mission 6277' and I remember that when it was first being set up, Jeff Mills came up with a brief for demo submissions. So I decided that I would come up with my own brief and ask some of the artists (sonic and visual) that I had met at 'Movement' and also at another night in Birmingham called 'Listening Sessions' to take part, to tie it all together I knew there had to be a strong visual element to it which is why I asked 'Bears Art' to take part as she had created a great front page for Futurepast Zine issue 6.

Anyway, I think the CD is great and I hope that you enjoy it. The whole project came together very naturally and it was a lot of fun to do. The CD is housed in a white DVD case and comes with a 20 page zine containing short interviews on all the artists involved. The CD is limited to 100 copies.

Peace.

Comments